A Unique, 10-Day Spiritual Journey For Bishops, Priests, Brothers And Deacons
January 15 – 26, 2018
Visit the Shrines of Central American Martyrs
- Visit the tomb of Blessed Archbishop Romero and celebrate Mass at the altar where he was assassinated.
- Visit the site in El Salvador where martyred Religious women, including two Maryknoll Sisters were murdered in 1980.
- Visit the University of Central America where six Jesuits and their companions were killed.
- In Guatemala, visit beautiful Santiago Atitlan where Fr. Stan Rother of Oklahoma City gave his life for his Mayan Indian parishioners. Fr. Rother will be beatified in Okalhoma City on September 23, 2017.
Learn why these wonderful men and women—caught up in situations of civil war and persecution—were able to give their lives as witnesses of Jesus Christ.
Come Walk in the Footsteps of Modern Day Catholic Martyrs
(914) 941-7636, ext. 2689
Ask for Claudia Velardo
Engage in Cross-cultural Solidarity on an Extraordinary Spiritual Journey
- 10 Days (Jan 15 – 26, 2018) – mission trip begins and ends in Guatemala City. Transport to and from the airport will be provided. Registration DEADLINE: Aug. 1, 2017
- Package includes: 1) pre-trip orientation; 2) on-site immersion to the causes and circumstances of the various martyrs; 3) meeting and engaging with missioners, as well as local church people living and working in Central America; 4) transportation in Guatemala and to El Salvador; 5) all-inclusive, in-country accommodations (room, meals and in-country transportation); 6) facilitation and stipends; and 7) extensive reading materials.
- Cost: $850 per individual, plus participants are responsible for air travel to and from Guatemala City
- Passports & immunizations: Participants in the 2018 Pilgrimage/Retreat will need a valid passport (no visa is required for Guatemala nor El Salvador). All participants should consult their physician regarding appropriate immunizations. Participants will be responsible for their personal medications.
- Lodging: Maryknoll Residence ~ 20 Calle 11-44, Zona 10, Guatemala City, Guatemala (tel. 502-2368-2219)
- If you want to secure Health Insurance for the trip, we recommend www.missionaryhealth.com
“For me the visit in Antigua at the Franciscan hospital and the Mass in the chapel were the most significant. It was the end of Mark, chapter 6 in real life.”
“An opportunity to experience the horror and the hope present to those who have suffered the darkest of times, or continue to suffer them”
Curious? Have Questions?
“An opportunity to personally connect to the lives of those who have given their lives for the faith, and the defense of the poor, and be with those who continue to do so”
“My pilgrimage experience was faith affirming, enjoyable and I learned a lot.”
“It is a must attend retreat for the spiritual growth of permanent deacons.”
Participants attending the 2018 Pilgrimage Retreat will primarily reside at the Maryknoll Center house in Guatemala City, while during the excursion to El Salvador, we’ll stay at the Assumption Sisters Retreat house. Both living experiences provide individual private rooms with shower and great food.
There will also be an excursion to the highlands of Guatemala where we’ll experience a one night missionary living situation and sleep on a comfortable mattress on the floor in the rectory at Santiago, Atitlan where the food is also great!